Monday, August 5, 2013

Chicken Tostadas with Creamy Avocado Dressing


I love Cooking Light magazine!  The pages of each issue are packed with proof that "lighter" does not mean less flavor or a less filling meal.  We are definitely Tex-Mex fans, so when I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it ... especially with the spicy avocado dressing.  The tostadas were perfectly crunchy, spicy, and flavorful - we loved them!  Enjoy, friends.
Best dishes and yummy dreams...

xo,


Chicken Tostadas with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Recipe adapted from:  Cooking Light on myrecipes.com

Serves 2-3


2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/8 c. taco seasoning (you can use the homemade version found here)

2 Tbsp. light sour cream
2 Tbsp. chicken stock, fat-free and low-sodium
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 peeled, ripe avocado

canola oil
whole grain corn tortillas
refried beans, canned or homemade
shredded pepper jack cheese

Optional toppings:
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
chopped sweet onions
medium taco sauce

1.  Pound the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness and coat with the taco seasoning.
2.  Cook the chicken on the grill or on the stove top and then set it to cool. (While the chicken is cooking, complete step 4.)
3.  Shred the chicken and set it aside.
4.  Prepare the avocado dressing by placing the sour cream, 2 Tbsp. chicken stock, lemon juice, canola oil, red pepper, salt, and avocado in a food processor.  Pulse the mixture until it is smooth.
5.  In a nonstick pan, heat a tsp. of canola oil and toast one tortilla at a time until they are crispy and firm on both sides.
6.  Top with beans, chicken, cheese, avocado dressing, and any other desired toppings.
It's like eating a Mexican pizza - that's exactly why my toddler loves these :)

Enjoy!


Thanks for reading, loves xo

Click here to see where I shared this recipe.

2 comments:

Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate said...

YUM!! Thanks for sharing ;)

AG said...

Yes, yes yes! Those tostadas are rihgt up my street & I know my little family would gobble them up! I followed you here from the link party at Chef in Training, btw. And I'd like to invite you to come link up with me at Tasty Tuesdays: http://goo.gl/c0vwvN