I love Cooking Light magazine! The pages of each issue are packed with proof that "lighter" does not mean less flavor or a less filling meal. We are definitely Tex-Mex fans, so when I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it ... especially with the spicy avocado dressing. The tostadas were perfectly crunchy, spicy, and flavorful - we loved them! Enjoy, friends.
Best dishes and yummy dreams...
Chicken Tostadas with Creamy Avocado Dressing
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/8 c. taco seasoning (you can use the homemade version found here)
2 Tbsp. light sour cream
2 Tbsp. chicken stock, fat-free and low-sodium
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 peeled, ripe avocado
whole grain corn tortillas
refried beans, canned or homemade
shredded pepper jack cheese
chopped sweet onions
medium taco sauce
1. Pound the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness and coat with the taco seasoning.
2. Cook the chicken on the grill or on the stove top and then set it to cool. (While the chicken is cooking, complete step 4.)
3. Shred the chicken and set it aside.
4. Prepare the avocado dressing by placing the sour cream, 2 Tbsp. chicken stock, lemon juice, canola oil, red pepper, salt, and avocado in a food processor. Pulse the mixture until it is smooth.
5. In a nonstick pan, heat a tsp. of canola oil and toast one tortilla at a time until they are crispy and firm on both sides.
6. Top with beans, chicken, cheese, avocado dressing, and any other desired toppings.
It's like eating a Mexican pizza - that's exactly why my toddler loves these :)
Thanks for reading, loves xo
Click here to see where I shared this recipe.